The EMB shall be the primary government agency under the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to formulate, integrate, coordinate, supervise and implement all policies, plans, projects and activities relative to the prevention and control of pollution as well as the management and enhancement of environment.
The EMB is mandated to implement the following national environmental laws:
The Environment Impact Assessment System was formally established in 1978 with the enactment of Presidential Decree no. 1586 to facilitate the attainment and maintenance of rational and orderly balance between socio-economic development and environmental protection. EIA is a planning and management tool that will help government, decision makers, the proponents and the affected community address the negative consequences or risks on the environment. The process assures implementation of environment-friendly projects.
The law aims to regulate restrict or prohibit the importation, manufacture, processing, sale, distribution, use and disposal of chemical substances and mixtures the present unreasonable risk to human health. It likewise prohibits the entry, even in transit, of hazardous and nuclear wastes and their disposal into the Philippine territorial limits for whatever purpose; and to provide advancement and facilitate research and studies on toxic chemicals.
The law aims to achieve and maintain clean air that meets the National Air Quality guideline values for criteria pollutants, throughout the Philippines, while minimizing the possible associated impacts to the economy.
In partnership with stakeholders, the law aims to adopt a systematic, comprehensive and ecological solid waste management program that shall ensure the protection of public health and environment. The law ensures proper segregation, collection, storage, treatment and disposal of solid waste through the formulation and adaptation of best eco-waste products.
The law aims to protect the country’s water bodies from pollution from land-based sources (industries and commercial establishments, agriculture and community/household activities). It provides for comprehensive and integrated strategy to prevent and minimize pollution through a multi-sectoral and participatory approach involving all the stakeholders.
This Act provides for the promotion of environmental awareness through environmental education which shall encompass environmental concepts and principles, environmental laws, the state of international and local environment, local environmental best practices, the threats of environmental degradation and its impact on human well-being, the responsibility of the citizenry to the environment and the value of conservation, protection and rehabilitation of natural resources and the environment.The Department of Education, the Commission on Higher Education, the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority, the Department of Social Welfare and Development, in coordination with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the Department of Science and Technology and other relevant agencies shall be responsible for implementing public education and awareness programs on environmental protection and conservation
Under E.O. 192, EMB is mandated to provide research and laboratory services; and serve as secretariat in the adjudication of pollution cases.
Under EO 320, EMB is designated as the secretariat of the Designated National Authority for CDM of the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- Vienna Convention for the Protection of Ozone Layer
- Montreal Protocol on the Protection of the Ozone Layer
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal
- Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Use
- Other International Commitments
– Advise the Secretary on matters relating to Environmental Management
– Formulate plans and policies and set appropriate environmental quality standards (Water, Air And Noise) for the prevention, control of pollution and protection of the environment
– Exercise direct supervision over its regional offices in the implementation of plans and programs. The central and regional offices of the bureau discharge both staff and regulatory functions
- Issue permits, clearances Under RA 8749, RA 9003, RA 9275, RA 6969 and PD 1586 and monitor compliance to said laws
– Provide secretariat support to the pollution adjudication board per EO 192
– Provide secretariat support to the National Solid Waste Management Commission as provided for in Section 4 of Ra 9003
– Develop and implement a research and development program in support of the following:
- Environmental And Compliance Monitoring; And
- Study of existing and potential environmental problems and issues
– Implement a system for the recognition of environmental laboratories
– Promote public information and education to encourage participation of an informed citizenry in environmental quality planning and monitoring.
– Serve as focal point agency for international agreements/commitments